For 12 persons - 4500 € to 7500 € / week
+ 2 additional beds available
Rent the castle of your dreams and live the life of the Lord and Lady of the Manor! The holiday of a lifetime spent in a magnificent chateau overlooking the River Dordogne and one of the most beautiful villages of France!
If there us “The” Dordogne property, then this is it – one of the great landmarks that every visitor to La Roque-Gageac admires. From every window and terrace there are fabulous views down the winding banks of the Dordogne. There is also a large garden behind the château.
The extraordinary location of this Renaissance style château perched high above the river makes it quite unique - it is a famous landmark along the Dordogne River in the Périgord Noir and offers genuinely privileged accommodation.
In the heart of Perigord Noir, in the Dordogne valley, the Castle of La Malartrie overlooks one of the most beautiful villages of France, La Roque Gageac. Nestled in a loop of the Dordogne river at the foot the high cliffs, it benefits from full sun all day and has an almost Mediterranean climate. The Castle offers an exceptional viewpoint over this medieval village and the Dordogne river, and you will appreciate the charm of this area full of history.
The castle is a family residence, and combines modern comfort with the charm of antique furniture making it a wonderful place to stay. After you step through the gateway a private alley will lead you to the main courtyard of the castle where you will enjoy a magnificiant panorama over the Dordogne river.
The swimming pool is located on one of the terraces of the castle, and offers a great exposition to fully enjoy the long summer days of this area.
The interior has recently been restored in harmony with the impressive exterior.
On the ground floor is a living room and a sitting room which open onto a large terrace, a dining room and a newly-installed and well-equipped kitchen, and a separate wc.
On the ground floor:
* The entrance leads to the living room, the dining room, the kitchen and the main terrace. A large stone stairway leads to the first floor and to the swimming pool.
* Covering 100sqm the terrace overlooks the Dordogne river, the valley and the swimming pool. From there you will have a most wonderful panoramic view.
* The large living room (over 100sqm) has a large stone chimney and offers an exceptional view over the Dordogne valley.
* Leading off the large living room, a small round intimate and cosy living room with an even better view over the valley and the river.
* A very large kitchen with modern equipment and many facilities, a breakfast area and leading to an office. A large stone chimney provides a unique combination of ancient and modern living style to this room.
* A vast dining room with an extendable table which can accomodate up to 16 people. The sense of history is ever present with the imposing fireplace and the gallery of ancestral paintings.
On the first floor are 6 large bedrooms with exceptional views over the Dordogne valley
* The Red suite : A 70sqm room with king size bed, baby cot, bathroom and toilet. Nice view over the Dordogne valley.
* The Yellow suite
* The bookshelves suite : A large room with king size bed, an auxiliary bed and en suite bathroom. Views over the main courtyard.
* A very large library room decorated with a sumptuous chimney, large libraries and king size bed with views over the main courtyard and the Dordogne valley. Interconnected bathroom and toilet.
* Children's room: A room equipped with 4 single beds, bathroom with 2 sinks, en suite shower and toilet. View over the Dordogne valley.
* Room 5 : Room with two single beds, baby cot, en suite bathroom and toilet. This leads to another small room (room N6). Views over the valley.
* Room 6: Small room in round tower leading off room number 5, equipped with a single bed. Views over the valley
The corridor of the first floor opens on a large stone staircase serving the second floor.
On the second floor are two large rooms and a smaller one. The views become even more beautiful as you get higher!
* Bedroom 7: a large double bedroom (160cm bed) with an en suite shower room and a wc
* Bedroom 8 : a single bedroom (90cm bed - lit bateau) with a washbasin
* Bedroom 9 : a twin bedroom (90cm beds) with an en suite shower room with a wc
* Separate toilet
* A swimming pool of 12m by 6m with an integrated staircase. On the terrace you will fully enjoy the region's sunny days and a wonderful panorama of the valley.
* There are two hectares of lovely grounds including woods, a park and gardens of 1000sqm. The belvedere above the swimming pool and the Dordogne river below, the playground on a lower level, the rose garden around the pool, the hundred year old trees which surround the chateau…. All make for ideal spots for walks and relaxing, and give the feeling of space and the sensation of grandeur .
* The panoramic terrace, with its tables and chairs, huge parasol, and gas barbecue guarantees long relaxing al fresco meals in summer. It has a spectacular view over the Dordogne, and unforgettable sunsets to be contemplated during dinner.
* Hanging onto the cliffside, the pool, measuring 12m x 6m, with roman steps, benefits from full sun, from morning to night, and the same panoramic vista over The Dordogne. It is equipped with sun loungers, parasols , and tables and chairs.
* A rare privilege in this steep and pedestrian village : the access to the château is possible by car, with private parking for up to 8 cars.
Wifi available on the ground floor only
Bed linen and bathroom towels included, as well as a weekly change.
Daily cleaning included (one hour per day - communal parts only), additional cleaning 15 € per hour.
Baby sitting 15 € per hour.
The resident caretakers can provide meals - cost is approx. 150 € per meal for full occupancy to include food shopping, preparation, service and washing up; cost of food is extra.
Services are payable locally.